Marketing Communications ManagerApply Now Job ID 9386847
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
Supports the marketing and communications efforts for an assigned geographic area and serves as a strategic advisor and support to ensure successful execution of high-impact marketing communications efforts. This position helps to develop and execute strategies and tactics to support mission and revenue priority activities, driving community relevance in their market, and in support of Regional and enterprise-wide efforts. Provides counsel and support to market leadership and departments, in collaboration with Director of Communications, including conceptualizing strategies, driving action plans, coordinating integrated planning, removing barriers and enabling execution to bring those strategies to fruition. Advances the Society’s mission, goals and objectives by raising market awareness and understanding of how the Society makes an impact in the fight against cancer.
• Helps to conceptualize, develop and execute local marketing communication strategies and plans consistent with other enterprise business and marketing and communications plans. Provides analysis/ROI of efforts as needed/appropriate.
• Develops and executes strategies to encourage social media growth and penetration in assigned markets, and secures media sponsorships and earned media placement in Tier 1 outlets.
• Supports crisis response strategies; assists in the development of strategic media responses including key messages, statements and identification of spokesperson;
• Maintains a productive and collaborative relationship with the Society’s global headquarters departments and other regions to share insights and advance ACS strategies.
• Serves as a day-to-day cross-functional marketing communications adviser within assigned market focused on high impact/priority activities.
• Fosters business literacy and partners with Talent Strategy to ensure that field staff are able to communicate confidently about the Society’s mission.
• Represents the Society internally and externally as a spokesperson and ensures messaging and training for other identified staff and volunteers to support the Society’s brand story.
• Serves as a key source for Society information and news for market activities.
• Drives community relevance through customer-centric and innovative marketing strategies
• Ensures the highest levels of effectiveness, efficiency and customer service.
• Models and fosters behavior that establishes a culture that values the staff/volunteer partnership, and is consistent with the values, goals, and objectives of the Society to create an atmosphere of trust, cooperation, accountability, empowerment, and dedication to the mission.
• Accountable for integration across Distinguished Partners, Cancer Control, Community Development, Business Operations & Planning, and ACS CAN market staff.
• Ensures volunteers reflect the diversity of the communities served by the region and creates and reinforces an environment of inclusion.
• Recruits and trains marketing communications volunteers, as appropriate
• Ensures that market volunteers reflect the diversity of the communities served by the region.
• Upholds the six core principles of the communication profession as defined by the International Association of Business Communicators: Ethics, Consistency, Context, Analysis, Strategy and Engagement.
Bachelor's degree preferred in marketing, public relations, communications, journalism, or a related field.
• At least 3-5 years of experience in a marketing/communications-related field.
• Additional formal knowledge and experience that would position this individual as a strategic marketing and communications partner are highly desirable, including content marketing and social media. Such knowledge and experience may include experience in public health, health care or nonprofits; advanced degree; professional affiliations or other experience or training.
Demonstrates Communications Competencies:
• Manages complexity - Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
• Strategic mindset - Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
• Action oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
• Drives results - Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
• Collaborates - Builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Communicates effectively - Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
• Instills trust - Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
• Situational adaptability - Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
• Demonstrated effectiveness through interpersonal, presentation, written and oral communications.
• Proven ability to assimilate complex organizational, political, and health issues into high quality, multimedia communications strategies and tactics.
• Must have proven track record in supporting successful, multifaceted strategic promotion/communications campaigns.
• Track record in launching effective media partnerships.
• Strong consultative sales skills; fostering strong relationships with prospective partners by understanding customer wants and needs
• Must have demonstrated project management skills and be a highly motivated self-starter able to work in an extremely fast-paced team environment, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• Limited physical activity required.
• Some travel may be required on as-needed basis.
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.