At the American Cancer Society, we are as dedicated to our staff as we are to our mission. Part of that dedication includes providing our employees with competitive benefit options to promote good health, financial security, work life balance, and peace of mind. To that end, Society employees enjoy employment benefits that make this a truly great place to work.
Employees who regularly work 20 or more hours per week are eligible to participate in the Society’s comprehensive benefits program beginning the first of the month following 30 days after your date of employment. All employees are eligible for paid time off, holidays and the Healthy You wellness program.
Your Financial Security
The Society recognizes that a focus on financial wellness is key to maintaining a healthy and happy workforce.
Retirement Savings Plan
- 403(b)/401(k) plan with matching company contributions (6% match at 8% contribution)
- Automatically enrolls you in the 403(b)/401(k) plan approximately 45 days following your hire date.
- Allows pre-tax and Roth after-tax contributions while letting you increase, decrease or stop contributions at any time.
- Your contributions are always 100% vested, and the Society’s contributions are vested after completing 3 years of service
Basic and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Provides employees basic life insurance coverage equal to one times their annual salary
- Offers voluntary employee supplemental life insurance, as well as spouse and child life insurance
- Provides basic and buy-up options for short-term and long-term disability coverage
Health savings account
- Helps save pre-tax dollars for use on health expenses now or in the future
Health care and dependent care spending accounts
- Allows you to set aside pre-tax earnings for health care and dependent care expenses to be automatically deducted over the course of the year
- Allows you to set aside pre-tax earnings for parking and transit commuting expenses
- Offers a student loan refinancing program with lower rates than federal and/or private options
- Employee discount portal offering a legal assistance plan, home, auto, and personal insurance discounts, identity theft protection, pet insurance, gym membership discounts, and much more.
Long Term Care
- Offers a long-term care policy to help prepare for potential future medical costs for employees or their dependents.
Resources and tools on a range of financial topics through vendor partners
Health and Welfare
Paid Time Off
The Society recognizes that time away from work promotes balance and increased productivity; therefore, we have a very generous Paid Time Off (PTO) policy. Regular full-time and part-time Society staff earn several days Paid PTO based on years of service.
Regular full-time employees accrue PTO on the last day of each month as follows*
- With 0-2 years of service 20 days annually
- With 3-4 years of service 25 days annually
- With 5-9 years of service 27 days annually
- With 10-14 years of service 30 days annually
- With 15-19 years of service 32 days annually
- With 20 or more years of service 35 days annually
Sets aside nine paid company holidays each year, as well as two personal paid holidays.
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
- Company Designated Day
Offers competitive medical options that provide preventive screenings at 100% coverage in-network through combination of standard PPO, HDHP and HMO options (in some regions)
Offers two dental options, a PPO and a DHMO that are designed to encourage preventative care, which is covered at 100%, as well as coverage for basic and advanced dental services.
Offers robust vision benefits that provide coverage for routine eye examinations as well as glasses or contact lenses.
Healthy Pregnancy Program
Offers an incentivized program through our nationwide medical carrier that helps mothers and their babies stay healthy during pregnancy and in the days and weeks following birth
Group Critical Illness
Offers a group critical illness plan to help with the treatment costs of covered critical illnesses, such as cancer, heart attack, or stroke
Healthy You Wellness Program
Encourages the well-being of our employees, through our Healthy You employee wellness program. We want our organization’s culture to have a profound and positive impact on your well-being.
- Offers incentives of up to $300 annually for healthy behaviors that can be earned through our wellness portal with online and telephonic coaching and activity tracking opportunities
- Hosts monthly Healthy You webinars
Offers a diabetes and heart disease prevention program through Omada Health available to those enrolled in our medical plan
Provides an online and telephonic program that gives support to parents and caregivers raising children with learning or behavioral challenges. Includes 6 hours of free telephonic coaching with a board-certified professional.
Employee Assistance Program
Provides all employees a full range of services including monthly trainings, resources and confidential counseling to help deal with personal challenges. This coverage is for employees and anyone living in their home and provides up to 8 counseling sessions per year per instance.