Patient NavigatorApply Now Job ID 10824329 Location Chicago, Illinois Position Type Full-Time
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
One hundred years ago, the American Cancer Society began the fight of a lifetime – the fight against cancer. After 100 years of saving lives and creating more birthdays, we’re leading the way in working tirelessly to transform cancer from deadly to treatable and from treatable to preventable. We want to finish the fight against Cancer. In fact, we’ve never been more ready to put the American Cancer Society out of business.
That’s why we’re embarking on our most ambitious undertaking yet. Each year, we help cancer patients everywhere get the help they need when they need it.
As the largest voluntary health organization, the American Cancer Society is passionately committed to saving lives from cancer. We are working to create a world with less cancer and more birthdays – a world where cancer never steals another year from anyone’s life. The ACS combines relentless passion with the wisdom of nearly a century of experience to make this vision a reality, and they get results. The ACS saves lives by helping people stay well, helping people get well, by finding cures, and fighting back. Thanks in part to this work; nearly 12 million cancer survivors and countless others who have avoided the disease will celebrate a birthday this year.
As the official sponsor of birthdays, we know how important each and every birthday is!
The Patient Navigator will establish contact with cancer patients, survivors and caregivers through approaches agreed upon within the host hospital site, to raise awareness about information resources, support programs and services, and assisting in meeting other cancer-related needs of patients and caregivers. The Patient Navigator will guide patients and their families through the cancer care continuum to identify barriers to treatment and assist with access to needed resources to decrease barriers.
• Build and maintain relationships with key staff in hospital host site to build patient referral mechanisms and promote patient navigation services.
• Help patients move through the complexities of the healthcare system by assisting with practical problem solving related to concrete needs such as lodging and transportation, and other services that decrease barriers to treatment.
• Complete comprehensive assessments of the barriers to quality cancer care that contribute to disparities and identify information, resource and emotional support needs of newly diagnosed and medically underserved patients, survivors, and caregivers.
• Establish and leverage relationships and alliances with local service providers and other healthcare providers to enhance service and referral networks.
• Facilitate constituent access to available American Cancer Society and non-ACS services and programs.
• Implement a follow-up plan for each constituent to ensure that services have met their needs.
• Identify gaps in resources offered and work within the community to bridge those gaps.
• Maintain accurate, confidential records documenting services provided and unmet needs using Siebel.
• Collects patient and caregiver stories for media and ACS CAN request, as well for overall program marketing and promotion.
• Remain current with resource and referral information found in the Cancer Resource Connection and ensures new resources are populated into the Connection.
• Invites cancer patients and their caregivers to become part of the cancer survivor community through such venues as the American Cancer Society Cancer Survivor’s Network, Relay for Life and Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.
• Collaborate with Hospital Account Manager to develop and implement a partnership plan for connecting with oncology patients in assigned health system.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
• Remains composed under stress, handles self in a professional manner at all times and takes personal responsibility for delivering on personal and organizational commitments.
• Ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities in a focused manner.
• Ability to work independently with minimum direction.
• Ability to coordinate and implement multiple responsibilities, projects and priorities.
• Ability to work collaboratively with hospital liaison and ACS hospital systems staff representing both institutions to the best interest of patients.
• Acts in the best interest of the organization and enhances the image of the American Cancer Society in the public eye.
• Follows the hospital’s policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Uses available technology to perform position responsibilities.
• Uses effective verbal and written communication skills and demonstrates ability to work with others.
• Establishes effective working relationships with diverse individuals and communities, as appropriate.
• Manages resources effectively and efficiently.
• Applies and follows ACS policies and guidelines.
• Provides high quality customer service, both internally and externally.
• Completes work in a timely and efficient manner and ensures work is accurate.
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in health care related field or 2 years equivalent experience in oncology, social work, nursing, community health education or related field preferred.
Demonstrates Mission Delivery Competencies:
• Collaborates - Builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Communicates effectively - Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
• Decision quality - Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
• Drives results - Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
• Instills trust - Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
• Interpersonal savvy - Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
• Resourcefulness - Secures and deploys resources effectively and efficiently.
• Situational adaptability - Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
• Must have thorough knowledge of healthcare systems, and medical terminology.
• Knowledge about the breadth and accessibility of community resources.
• Experience working in medical settings and interacting collaboratively with medical teams.
• Experience working with oncology patients and families preferred.
• Working knowledge of HIPAA regulations required.
• Critical skills required include strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, assessment, teamwork, initiative, and versatility.
• Computer proficiency.
• Strong problem-solving, relationship building and data collection skills.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Reports to Senior Manager, Patient Navigation
• Works collaboratively with on-site hospital liaison, hospital system staff and other community-based healthcare providers
• Frequent contact with Hospital Account team members, Mission Delivery staff, Patient Service Center Team
Staff have a unique opportunity to save lives through direct mission impact while fulfilling personal and career objectives. The American Cancer Society values accountability and high performance and rewards those teams and team members who continually improve their capability and contribution. The American Cancer Society is also dedicated to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce to help achieve our mission.
Save Lives. Fulfill Yours.
ACS is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds including women, communities of color, the LGBT community, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.