Scientist, Surveillance ResearchApply Now Job ID 1381710832 Location Atlanta, Georgia Position Type Full-Time
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, we're leading the fight for a world without cancer. Our employees and 1.5 million volunteers are raising the bar every single day. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to save lives, celebrate lives, and lead the fight for a world without cancer. We achieve our mission by drawing on our core values of integrity, compassion, courage, determination, and diversity.
It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled.
**Final title of position is subject to candidate's qualifications**
The incumbent will join the team responsible for updating the Cancer Facts & Figures/Cancer Statistics family of publications, including the 69-year old Cancer Facts & Figures, American Cancer Society’s signature publication. This work includes promoting highlights and new findings internally (e.g., via webinars) and externally (e.g., via media interviews and conferences). There will also be the opportunity to design and conduct impactful cancer surveillance research for publication in peer-reviewed journals. Additional duties include assisting the VP and other senior staff in intramural research on special projects of enterprise-wide importance and serving as an internal/external subject-matter expert on descriptive epidemiology when appropriate.
- Independently analyze data, conduct literature reviews, and revise content for Cancer Facts & Figures publications as needed according to schedule.
- Prepare and present society-wide webinars on these publications for greater dissemination of information.
- Lead and/or coauthor the accompanying cancer statistics articles.
- Respond to requests for data or interpretation of cancer statistics as needed.
- Provide analytical support for the presentation of incidence, mortality, and survival data using SEER*STAT and other relevant sources.
- Prepare tables and figures for scientific presentations using Excel, PowerPoint, and Origin.
- Document analytic programs and results in an organized, dated, and clearly labeled form for future reference.
- Conduct research projects for publications in peer review journals.
- FORMAL KNOWLEDGE:
- Master’s or PhD degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in Epidemiology, Public Health, Statistics, or similar field.
- Desire a minimum 2 years experience in statistical/analytical work, preferably in a public health or research environment.
SPECIALIZED TRAINING OR KNOWLEDGE:
- Interest in descriptive epidemiology and surveillance research.
- Excellent written communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Knowledge of statistical methods and software.
- Knowledge of cancer, tumor registry operations, and data sources, such as SEER, CINA, and NCHS a plus.
- Familiarity with SEER*STAT highly desirable.
- SAS experience desired but not required.
Demonstrates Intramural Research Competencies:
- Strong theoretical knowledge of economics and public health that guides applied research, and at the same time, ability to question conventional wisdom;
- Creative thinking grounded in rigor;
- Capacity to support senior investigators on the team in research design, survey methods, data collection protocols, analysis, and interpretation of results;
- Oriented to actions for seizing new opportunities and addressing emerging challenges.
- Drives results in research that translates into meaningful and impactful change;
- Willing and able to seize new opportunities and address challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm;
- Communicates scientific knowledge effectively with different audiences (ranging from professional to lay);
- Manages complexity of high volume and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems;
- Inclined to build formal and informal networks effectively with both internal and external partners;
- Cultivates innovation through creation of new and better ways for the organization to be successful;
- Optimizes work processes with the know-how of the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement;
- Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.