Digital Content SpecialistApply Now Job ID 4175329
The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) is the nation's leading cancer advocacy organization. Together with our charitable partner, the American Cancer Society, we work in Congress, state legislatures and local jurisdictions to support evidence-based policy and legislative solutions designed to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. Based in Washington, DC with offices throughout the country, ACS CAN works to encourage elected officials and candidates to make cancer a top national priority.
Specialist is responsible for writing volunteer/consumer-targeted content for ACS CAN’s websites and social media platforms. As an exceptional writer and editor, the Specialist will leverage our federal and state legislative campaigns to write highly compelling copy that drives readers to take action and engage with the organization. The Specialist will also support state grassroots managers by sharing social media expertise and best practices in order to improve and enhance the effectiveness of state-level social media tactics.
• Website Writing: Write copy for all ACS CAN websites, including its flagship site, Cancer Votes website and other microsites. In coordination with members of the grassroots, media, lobbying, policy and field teams, the Specialist will collect information and write highly engaging website articles about state and federal legislative campaigns.
• Social Media Writing: Write high-quality, action-driven social media content for ACS CAN’s national social media platforms. Specialist will coordinate with the Associate Director, Social Media and Digital Content to develop and execute on a comprehensive social media calendar.
• Social Media State Support: Uses existing knowledge and expertise to serve as a proactive and reactive social media resource for state grassroots managers and other staff involved in state and local social media strategy and execution. The Specialist will share best practices, help lead group and one-on-one social media trainings, and write template copy for state and federal legislative campaigns and programs.
• Internal Social Media Resource: Support ACS CAN coalition work by writing social media copy or shared campaign activities like Days of Action, lobby days and more.
• Participates in functional teams to create and manage editorial standards and best practices for social media content.
• In coordination with members of the Volunteer Engagement team, the Specialist will assist in the creation of trainings for national and regional meetings.
Bachelor’s Degree and 4+ years of experience working in organizations or companies involved in grassroots, legislative, and media campaigns.
This is a Washington, DC-based position.
• Knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as well as general social media trends and platforms.
• Strong writing skills, including developing content for multiple platforms
• Self-motivated with an ability to work independently and in a team environment. Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Strong interpersonal skills with experience cultivating relationships with staff and volunteers.
• Ability to manage multiple projects with deadlines
• Ability to travel and work in multicultural environments essential.
It is the policy of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.