Senior Analyst, Policy & Legislative Support – Emerging ScienceApply Now Job ID 10453956 Location Washington, DC Position Type Full-Time
The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) is the nation's leading cancer advocacy organization. Together with our charitable partner, the American Cancer Society, we work in Congress, state legislatures and local jurisdictions to support evidence-based policy and legislative solutions designed to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. Based in Washington, DC with offices throughout the country, ACS CAN works to encourage elected officials and candidates to make cancer a top national priority.
The senior policy analyst is responsible for policy and legislative analysis, development of policy materials and products, preparation of regulatory comment letters, and overall support for the advocacy agenda of ACS CAN at the federal, state and local levels. This position has a particular focus on drug/device development and approval, federal appropriations, clinical trials, access to care and prevention.
• Developing required expertise on issues within the portfolio to support advocacy efforts that promote the mission agenda;
• Analyzing state and federal legislative proposals, federal regulations, and developing responses; and
• Creating policy products that support the federal, state and local advocacy agendas, including fact sheets, regulatory comment letters, white papers, infographics, position statements, toolkits, talking points, and model legislation.
• Works collaboratively with multiple teams across ACS and ACS CAN to produce consistent, evidence-based work products for multiple stakeholders that clearly communicate policy positions on legislative issues.
• Contributes to regulatory review and analysis as assigned on priority cancer policy and health policy issues.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor or Master’s degree with minimum 5-7 years related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Applied policy and/or legislative experience at the state or federal level highly desired.
• Experience with a nonprofit advocacy organization of benefit.
• Demonstrated public policy experience and analysis.
• Knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes at the local, state and federal levels of government.
Demonstrates the following ACS CAN policy development/emerging issues job family competencies:
• Manages Complexity - Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
• Balances Stakeholders - Anticipates and balances the needs of multiple stakeholders.
• Strategic Mindset - Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
• Plans and Aligns - Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
• Ensures Accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
• Collaborates - Builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Organizational Savvy - Maneuvers comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics.
• Manages Ambiguity - Operates effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
It is the policy of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.