Sr Director, PhilanthropyApply Now Job ID 12874502 Location San Jose, California; Irvine, California; Seattle, Washington Position Type Full-Time
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, we're leading the fight for a world without cancer. Our employees and 1.5 million volunteers are raising the bar every single day. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to save lives, celebrate lives, and lead the fight for a world without cancer. We achieve our mission by drawing on our core values of integrity, compassion, courage, determination, and diversity.
It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled.
This position is available in: Seattle, Irvine or San Jose.
Provides major gifts, grants and stewardship leadership for assigned region; including accountability for multi-million dollar income targets and management of a team of major gifts directors Responsible for collaborating with market, region and Global Headquarters leadership to develop and execute multi-year business plan targets for annual and long-term multi-year gifts, mega campaigns, grants and stewardship efforts. Responsible for ensuring return on investment targets are achieved.
• Ensures achievement of income performance targets through individual, annual and multi-annual gift, foundation, and mega campaigns.
• Manages, coaches and develops a team of major gift, grants and stewardship professionals within assigned region areas. Ensures that responsibilities authorities and accountability of all direct reports are well defined.
• Monitors expenditures and progress against plan and take appropriate measure to meet top line and bottom line goals ensuring a high ROI in meeting revenue targets.
• Serves as a primary relationship manager for assigned priority relationships in the region; responsible for leveraging those relationships to support region-based and enterprise goals and objectives.
• Builds relationships with volunteers, board members, corporate representatives, foundations and current and prospective donors with a capacity to support and/or open doors to others who can support the American Cancer Society mission with gifts of $1 million or more.
• Works closely with region leadership, Global Headquarters department leads, staff and volunteers, to develop and implement a major gift strategy for the region that is compatible with enterprise-wide priorities.
• Work with Global Headquarters department leaders to develop, expand and refine case for support, supporting materials and strategy
• Partners with region corporate relationship, distinguished events, and community development staff to ensure a coordinated approach to working with high impact organizations and individuals to leverage their support of the Society.
• Supports the effective development of campaign packaging, pricing, and lead gifts for field staff proposals.
• Ensures delivery of a high level donor/constituent experience in order to engage and maintain relationships with key individuals, corporations and foundations and ensures grant writing, stewardship and donor recognition execution in accordance with region strategic plan and Global Headquarters strategy.
• Collaborates with Community Development, Cancer Control, Business Planning & Operations, Communications/Marketing and ACS CAN leads to ensure coordinated and interdependent achievement of regional goals.
• Maintains a productive and collaborative relationships with the Society’s global headquarters departments and other regions; participates on regional and enterprise projects and committees as appropriate.
Bachelor’s Degree and 7+ years proven track record of securing $100,000+ gifts or equivalent experience. A background in cancer center or medical center funding a plus.
Demonstrates Major Gifts Competencies:
Customer focus, Strategic mindset, Action oriented, Drives results, Interpersonal savvy, Builds networks, Persuades, Being resilient.
• Successful track record in securing 5 and 6 figure gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations.
• Successful management and direction of grant applications, prospecting, and stewardship of major gift donors.
• A strong working knowledge of the major gift area; sales management and campaign experience is highly desirable.
• Financial acumen and a disciplined professional approach to managing staff and budget with integrity.
• Ability to build, lead, empower, and mentor a team of fundraising professional staff.
• Collaborative leadership, management, coaching and development of diverse staff.
• Ability to work through others to accomplish goals.
• Ability to drive lead generation for individual and corporate major giving opportunities.
• Ability to establish a collegial, effective working partnership with a board of directors and work effectively with dedicated volunteers.
• Analytical and strategic planning and problem solving skills.
• Strong communication, interpersonal and listening skills; high energy and a sense humor helpful.
• The ability to be an ambassador for the American Cancer Society.
• Ability to understand and work within a complex organizational structure.
• 20% travel required OR ability to travel by car daily and occasional air travel as needed
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.