Senior Community Development Manager, Making Strides Against Breast CancerApply Now Job ID 10478370 Location Phoenix, Arizona Position Type Full-Time
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
Executes large scale Making Strides $1 million+ event as the lead staff with accountability for a significant income target. Ensures revenue goal achievement through effective leadership, management of top accounts, sponsorship solicitation and cultivation, volunteer management, event management and event-related mission activities. Collaboration with the event team and market team is essential for the success of this role.
• Manages, coaches, and develops Community Event Manager and temporary and/or part time Strides staff team to ensure successful execution; ensures that responsibilities and accountabilities of all direct reports are well-defined.
• Builds a strategic plan focusing on Making Strides success factors as determined by a regressive analysis of key drivers to ensure event growth in all areas.
• Monitors financial expenditures and progress against budgetary plan and takes appropriate measures to meet top line and bottom line goals ensuring a high ROI in meeting revenue targets.
• Responsible for effectively and efficiently completing activities and meeting target deadlines and benchmarks to meet financial goals and execute successful event within a specific market.
• Responsible for planning a successful large-scale mass market event, including meeting revenue targets, event logistics, volunteer recruitment and management, that delivers an outstanding customer experience.
• Analyzes customer experience results and ensures a strategy to increase customer satisfaction is developed and implemented.
• Manages pipeline development, account planning, forecasting, engagement of prospects and high level volunteer cultivation.
• Cultivates relationships with targeted systems/ organizations/ contacts, including sponsors, participants and volunteers.
• Identifies and executes best practices; drives community relevance through customer centric and innovative strategies.
• Strategically plan and ensure activation on available tools and processes to maximize event results, including online fundraising and peer to peer fundraising.
• Confidently build both internal and external relationships to recruit highly skilled and diverse community volunteer leadership and committees and influence them into action.
• Actively collaborates with Community Development, Distinguished Partners, Cancer Control, and ACS CAN staff to maximize event success; leverages opportunities to engage corporations, health systems, and community organizations in events, focusing on event sponsorship and participation. Manages multiple projects and tasks concurrently and effectively prioritize in a fast-paced work environment to meet tight deadlines and consistently achieve income targets.
• Ensures compliance with ACS policies, including employment, risk management, event and cash handling, and financial controls. Ability to manage budgets, analyzes event data, and understands basic account principals to run events like a small business.
• Maintains productive and collaborative relationships with the Society’s global headquarters departments and other regions; participates on regional and enterprise projects and committees as appropriate.
• Models and fosters behavior that establishes a culture that values the staff/volunteer partnership, and is consistent with the values, goals, and objectives of the Society to create an atmosphere of trust, cooperation, accountability, empowerment, and dedication to the mission
Bachelor’s degree, equivalent or comparable specific work experience. Preferred 5 years of experience in fundraising, outside sales or other nonprofit experience in a similar capacity, as well as strong market knowledge and proven engagement and mobilization of volunteers. Previous management experience is preferred.
Demonstrates Community Development Competencies:
• Action oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
• Attracts top talent - Attracts and selects the best talent to meet current and future business needs.
• Being resilient - Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
• Builds networks - Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
• Customer focus - Builds strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
• Drives engagement - Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
• Balances stakeholders - Anticipates and balances the needs of multiple stakeholders.
• Ensures accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
• Proven experience fostering strong relationships and leveraging those contacts for introductions as new prospects for the Society.
• Able to cultivate relationships including mobilization of a diverse population of community leaders and volunteers.
• Demonstrated fundraising mindset and ability to handle multiple priorities, project management and meeting deadlines; strong planning and organizational skills.
• Able to remain composed under stress, handles responses to criticism tactfully and takes responsibility for delivering on organizational commitments.
• Demonstrated ability to understand others perspectives and influence them into action
• A proven record of utilizing data and metrics to proactively anticipate and efficiently solve problems.
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and a relentless drive toward outcomes that achieve high aim.
• Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
• Broad knowledge of the overall structure, programs, and services of the American Cancer Society including policies and procedures.
• Responsible for partnering with enterprise support functions for successful planning and execution of events.
• Proven ability to collaborate within staff account teams in order to deliver desired results.
• Strong customer service orientation, with extensive experience in effectively addressing and resolving issues with constituents/ customers.
• Ability to communicate with staff and volunteers, as needed, to negotiate issues as they arise to ensure the integrity of ACS events.
• Proficient in computer-based information systems.
Travel, including evening and weekend work required.
Ability to lift 30lbs and engage in set up/take down of event equipment.
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.