Community Development ManagerApply Now Job ID 12552671 Location Pasadena, California; Los Angeles, California Position Type Full-Time
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, we're leading the fight for a world without cancer. Our employees and 1.5 million volunteers are raising the bar every single day. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to save lives, celebrate lives, and lead the fight for a world without cancer. We achieve our mission by drawing on our core values of integrity, compassion, courage, determination, and diversity.
It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled.
This position is located in Pasadena.
Executes a portfolio of community-based events, with accountability for significant income targets, as well as event-related mission and advocacy activities. Ensures goal achievement through the effective leadership, engagement, empowerment and mobilization of event volunteers.
• Accountable for the achievement of income performance targets for a portfolio of community-based events which may include: Relay For Life, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, Distinguished Events, and other community fundraising events.
• Responsible for effectively and efficiently completing activities and meeting target deadlines in order to execute successful events.
• Implements best practices for event revenue growth; drives and encourages creativity and innovation at the event level.
• Monitors financial expenditures and progress against budgetary plan and takes appropriate measures to meet top line and bottom line goals ensuring a high ROI in meeting revenue targets.
• Engages, recruits, trains and manages relationships with community volunteers to ensure successful events execution.
• Engages the community to drive increased event participation; including event committee, teams, team members, sponsors, survivor/caregiver engagement, and youth engagement.
• Actively collaborates with Community Development Distinguished Partners, Cancer Control, and ACS CAN staff to maximize event success; leverages opportunities to engage constituents from corporate, distinguished partners and health systems activities in events through event sponsorship and participation
• Works in partnership with Cancer Control staff for achievement of identified event-related mission goals, including enterprise-wide initiatives. Integrates mission/cancer control activities messaging and within events.
• Partners with enterprise support and region support services functions and ensures appropriate support is provided for successful execution of events.
• Utilizes available tools and processes to maximize event results, including online fundraising.
• Utilizes and responds to customer experience survey, comparative event and success factors data.
• Facilitates volunteer retention and ensures meaningful volunteer recognition.
• Utilizes defined processes to ensure timely and accurate event data entry.
• Ensures compliance with ACS policies, including employment, risk management, event and cash handling, and financial controls.
• Support ACS CAN grassroots efforts including, ACS CAN membership.
• Maintains productive and collaborative relationships with the Society’s global headquarters departments and other regions; participates on regional and enterprise projects and committees as appropriate.
• Models and fosters behavior that establishes a culture that values the staff/volunteer partnership, and is consistent with the values, goals, and objectives of the Society to create an atmosphere of trust, cooperation, accountability, empowerment, and dedication to the mission.
Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. One year related experience preferred, working within a multi-million dollar organization a plus.
Demonstrates Community Development Competencies: Action oriented, Attracts top talent, Being resilient, Builds networks, Customer focus, Drives engagement, Balances stakeholders, Ensures accountability.
• Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
• Able to work successfully in a diverse team environment.
• Ability to recruit, train and motivate community-based volunteers.
• Demonstrated ability in handling multiple priorities, project management and meeting deadlines; strong planning and organizational skills.
• Proven relationship building, persuasion and influence skills.
• Strong customer service orientation, with extensive experience in effectively addressing and resolving issues with constituents.
• Ability to proactively monitor and adjust activities to respond to changing circumstances and priorities to meet goals, proactively address issues as they arise and mitigate risks associated to events.
• Outcome driven; strong project management ability.
• Able to work through others to accomplish goals.
• Strong market, community and constituent perspective.
• Remains composed under stress, handles responses to criticism tactfully and delivers on organizational commitments.
• Broad knowledge of the overall structure, programs, and services of the American Cancer Society including policies and procedures.
• Proficient in computer-based information systems.
Must have access to car or be able to transport materials to and from meetings and special events/programs. Must be able to staff evening and weekend committee meetings, events and programs. Must be able to lift 30 lbs and perform set up / take down of event equipment.
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.