Sr Manager, Community DevelopmentApply Now Job ID 10504793 Location Houston, Texas Position Type Full-Time
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
Provides staff leadership, coaching, support and training for a team of community development execution staff in an assigned area. Executes a portfolio of community-based events, with accountability for significant income targets, as well as event-related mission and advocacy activities. Responsible for profits and loss management for assigned community development revenue activities, ensuring ROI targets are achieved. Ensures engagement and mobilization of diverse constituents, staff and volunteers for assigned area in a prioritized and coordinated way to meet established market and regional objectives.
• Accountable for the achievement of income performance targets for community-based fundraising events, including Relay For Life, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer (MSABC), Distinguished Events, and other community events for an assigned area.
• Manages, coaches, and develops a team of community development execution staff, each directing the execution of multiple events, for assigned geographic market area; ensures that responsibilities and accountabilities of all direct reports are well-defined.
• Directly accountable for the achievement of income performance targets, as well as event-related mission and advocacy activities, for a portfolio of community-based events within the greater assigned area.
• Provides necessary hands on training, coaching, and support with a focus on community organization and relationship building; supports key teams/volunteer recruitment and relationship management.
• Responsible for the optimization of current community event activities for assigned geography; identifies and executes strategies to implement best practices that result in growth of event revenue in alignment with market and regional income targets.
• Drives community relevance and revenue through customer-centric and innovative strategies.
• Monitors financial expenditures and progress against budgetary plan and takes appropriate measures to meet top line and bottom line goals ensuring a high ROI in meeting revenue targets.
• Responsible for annual budgeting and revenue forecasting. Ensures compliance with ACS policies, including employment, risk management, event and cash handling, and financial controls.
• Ensures effective stewardship of key volunteer and donor relationships.
• Models volunteer staff partnership through support of volunteer leadership groups comprised of highly engaged, community influencers accountable for driving market priorities and goals; recruits, manages relationships and retains highly effective volunteer leaders who can significantly contribute to the success of the Society.
• Instills community volunteer leadership development skills and facilitates identification and development of new volunteer leaders as well as focusing on volunteer retention.
• Provides leadership and planning guidance for the engagement of the community in events to drive increased event participation; including event committee, team members, sponsors, survivor/caregiver engagement, and youth engagement.
• Works in partnership with Cancer Control for achievement of identified event-related mission goals, including enterprise-wide initiatives; provides staff support to deliver mission/cancer control messaging.
• Partners with Community Development, Cancer Control, and Distinguished Partners staff to determine execution plans for meeting objectives for event community presence and engagement.
• Collaborates with Distinguished Partners, Cancer Control, Business Planning & Operations, Communications/Marketing and ACS CAN staff to ensure coordinated and interdependent achievement of market goal; leveraging community relationships to achieve income and mission goals.
• Partners with enterprise support functions and region support services function to ensure appropriate support is provided for successful execution of events.
• Ensures events are supported in the event of staff or volunteer vacancy. Closely monitors volunteer and staff resources; requests contingency support as needed, and triage resources appropriately.
• Analyzes customer experience results and ensures a strategy to increase customer satisfaction is developed and implemented.
• Utilizes available tools and processes to maximize event results, including online fundraising.
• Ensures strong logistical coordination for assigned events.
• Facilitates volunteer retention and ensures meaningful volunteer recognition.
• Utilizes defined processes to ensure timely and accurate event data entry.
• Support ACS CAN grassroots efforts including, ACS CAN membership.
• Maintains a productive and collaborative relationships with the Society’s global headquarters departments and other regions; participates on regional and enterprise projects and committees as appropriate.
• Models and fosters behavior that establishes a culture that values the staff/volunteer partnership, and is consistent with the values, goals, and objectives of the Society to create an atmosphere of trust, cooperation, accountability, empowerment, and dedication to the mission.
Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. Two years of experience with staff management and team leadership preferred. Three years fundraising experience preferred.
Demonstrates Community Development Competencies:
• Action oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
• Attracts top talent - Attracts and selects the best talent to meet current and future business needs.
• Being resilient - Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
• Builds networks - Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
• Customer focus - Builds strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
• Drives engagement - Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
• Balances stakeholders - Anticipates and balances the needs of multiple stakeholders.
• Ensures accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
• Able to cultivate relationships with targeted constituents including a diverse population of community leaders and volunteers.
• Strong market, community and constituent perspective.
• Ability to understand and work within a complex organizational structure.
• Proven ability to recruit and manage to successful results through volunteers.
• Outcome driven with ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities; strong project management skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
• Broad knowledge of the overall structure, programs, and services of the American Cancer Society including policies and procedures.
• Remains composed under stress, handles responses to criticism tactfully and delivers on organizational commitments.
• Demonstrated ability in handling multiple priorities, project management and meeting deadlines; strong planning and organizational skills.
• Demonstrated success managing entry-level staff in fundraising roles.
• Ability to analyze and integrate information from relevant sources.
• Able to generate accurate income projections.
• Ability to proactively monitor and adjust activities to respond to changing circumstances and priorities to meet goals; proactively address issues as they arise and mitigate risks associated to events.
• Strong strategic planning skills.
• Outcome driven; strong project management ability.
• Proficient in computer-based information systems.
• Able to work successfully in a diverse team environment.
• Ability to recruit, train and motivate community-based volunteers.
• Proven relationship building, persuasion and influence skills.
• Strong customer service orientation, with extensive experience in effectively addressing and resolving issues with constituents.
• Must have access to car or be able to transport materials to and from meetings and special events/programs.
• Must be able to staff evening and weekend committee meetings, events and programs.
• Must be able to lift 30 lbs and perform set up / take down of event equipment.
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.