Hope Lodge and Transportation CoordinatorApply Now Job ID 13868703 Location Houston, Texas Position Type Full-Time
Position DescriptionSave lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, we're leading the fight for a world without cancer. Our employees and 1.5 million volunteers are raising the bar every single day. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to save lives, celebrate lives, and lead the fight for a world without cancer. We achieve our mission by drawing on our core values of integrity, compassion, courage, determination, and diversity.
It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled.
Oversee the operation and activities of the Hope Lodge, a temporary lodging facility for cancer patients and caregivers, ensuring that the Hope Lodge mission and guiding principles are met. Provides assistance and support to guests, volunteers, donors, and other visitors as appropriate. Ensures a safe, supportive, “home away from home” environment at all times during shifts.
The schedule for this role is Mon - Fri, 8am - 5pm.
• Maintains the safety and comfort of guests, volunteers, and other visitors as a primary focus.
• Provides assistance and support as needed to ensure a safe, supportive environment is maintained and that issues are addressed immediately and effectively.
• Remains available to guests and volunteers at all times to ensure the highest quality of service is provided.
• Conducts regular security walkthroughs throughout shift to ensure lodge safety.
• Completes guest admissions, orientations and check-outs as needed.
• Oversees volunteers scheduled during shift.
• Orients volunteers and volunteer groups for meals and entertainment as scheduled.
• Signs in and orients any applicable vendors as appropriate.
• Performs room checks and prepares guest rooms for incoming guests.
• Maintains awareness of all Hope Lodge guests and visitors.
• Attends Hope Lodge staff meetings.
• Complete required American Cancer Society trainings and compliance courses in a timely manner and adhere to all privacy and confidentiality requirements.
• Maintains collaborative, work relationship with ACS staff and community volunteers.
• Provides guest room cleaning and other common area cleaning as needed.
• Works on staff laundry as assigned which may include washing, drying, folding and putting sheets and linens away and/or preparing rooms for incoming guests.
• Reviews current lodge information from individual who had been at the lodge via both a conversation at the start of shift and appropriate staff and maintenance logs.
• Documents pertinent information into appropriate staff and maintenance logs and shares the information with incoming staff at the end of shift.
• Undertakes other duties as assigned
• When needed, provides rides for Hope Lodge guests to/from treatment centers and other destinations authorized by lodge management utilizing the Hope Lodge vehicle(s)
• Operates Hope Lodge vehicles safely, efficiently and professionally, while providing assistance and support to patients and caregivers.
• Monitors traffic and weather conditions to safely transport guests and reports any accidents or other safety situations to appropriate Hope Lodge staff.
• Responsible for ensuring inside and outside of vehicle are properly cleaned and fueled; inspecting interior and exterior of vehicle at beginning of each shift for properly operating lights, tires, mirrors, air conditioning/heating, etc.; reporting any known damage or malfunctions to appropriate Hope lodge staff; and tracking all rides provided, miles driven and vehicle maintenance performed.
Position Requirements• High School Diploma, GED or equivalent required. Post-secondary education preferred.
• At least one-year experience in healthcare, social services, hospitality services, or volunteer management, or an equivalent combination of experience and education preferred.
Demonstrates Hope Lodge Competencies: Action oriented, Communicates effectively, Customer focus, Optimizes work processes, Instills trust, Interpersonal savvy, Resourcefulness, Situational adaptability.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, database and spreadsheet management, email software, and internet browsers.
• Excellent ability to take initiative and be able to motivate and inspire others.
• Effective verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
• Ability to remain composed in stressful situations and handle self in a professional manner at all times.
• Highly effective conflict resolution skills.
• Proven ability to problem solve and make effective decisions.
• Excellent customer service and possess a positive, ‘can-do’ attitude.
• Volunteer management experience preferred.
• Customer Service / Hospitality experience preferred.
• CPR and AED certification required within 90 days of hire.
Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds.
Ability to move around to all areas of the lodge quickly and safely including proper cleanup and disposal of bodily fluid spills and infectious waste. A valid driver’s license and clean driving record is required.
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.