Managing Director, Government RelationsApply Now Job ID 10285001 Location Denver, Colorado, Salt Lake City, Utah, St Louis, Missouri Position Type Full-Time
The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) is the nation's leading cancer advocacy organization. Together with our charitable partner, the American Cancer Society, we work in Congress, state legislatures and local jurisdictions to support evidence-based policy and legislative solutions designed to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. Based in Washington, DC with offices throughout the country, ACS CAN works to encourage elected officials and candidates to make cancer a top national priority.
Execute a comprehensive public policy advocacy program including management and oversight of legislative/state executive/administrative lobbying, grassroots volunteer development and deployment, media advocacy and ACS CAN fundraising. Provide leadership, support, direction, and supervision to state-based and other advocacy staff consistent with ACS CAN mission priorities and annual goals. Manage fiscal and staff resources within an established budget. Lead ACS CAN fundraising efforts with staff team. Ensure staff compliance with relevant laws, rules and lobby registration/reporting.
• Direct work by developing and executing a comprehensive public policy advocacy program and legislative agenda for assigned territory that drives results. This will include strategic assessment of opportunities and challenges and the development of local, state, and field-based federal lobbying objectives so that plans align with organization goals. *Special note: in some cases, the Managing Director does direct lobbying in one or all states, in addition to the work that their staff members do.
• Drive results by providing public policy advocacy campaign strategy and leadership to ACS CAN state-based staff within an assigned set of states, including management of an annual budget designed to achieve public policy advocacy campaign success.
• Build state teams including hiring and managing State Government Relations Directors and other staff to achieve annual goals and objectives.
• Guide and approve the hiring and management of contract lobbyists, where applicable.
• Oversee recruitment, development, and recognition of advocacy volunteers and implementation of grassroots action plans.
• Oversee ACS CAN fundraising for staff team, including the annual planning and goal-setting process as well as implementation of the plan.
• Collaborate with State Government Relations Directors and Alliance Development in support of ACS CAN income development priorities.
• Represent ACS CAN with ACS area and regional colleagues.
• Represent ACS CAN with national and regional coalition partners and at national and regional meetings and conferences as required, and guide staff in their state and local coalition work.
• Ensure accountability and compliance with laws, rules, and lobby registration/reporting, as well as internal ACS CAN processes for legal review, finance policies, staff management policies and program tracking and measurement.
• Lead by example, personally demonstrating the values and behaviors expected of ACS CAN staff.
• Travel extensively as needed by car, plane or rail, including overnights and weekends.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in law, political science, public administration, public policy or related field and a minimum of 7 years government or private sector policy advocacy experience and in-depth knowledge of and experience with legislative and administrative policy making.
• Experience in leading political and/or policy advocacy campaigns; progressively responsible experience preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to manage professional staff, including ability to attract top talent, manage performance, develop talent and value difference.
• Ability to work independently with minimum direction as well as work as a member or leader of a team.
• Nonprofit organization experience preferred.
• Fundraising experience preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to manage complexity and balance stakeholders while working on time-sensitive matters with internal and external constituents.
• Demonstrated communicate effectively including strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to build networks and effective working relationships with diverse individuals and communities.
• Exceptional ability to persuade others.
• Manages resources effectively and efficiently.
• Apply and follow ACS CAN policies and guidelines.
• Complete work in a timely and efficient manner and ensure work is accurate.
• Utilize available technology to perform position responsibilities.
SPECIALIZED TRAINING OR KNOWLEDGE:
Staff management experience required.
Knowledge of health care policy preferred.
Familiarity with legislative and political structures in assigned territory preferred.
Familiarity with fundraising processes preferred.
It is the policy of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.