Director, Grassroots OrganizingApply Now Job ID 9837876 Location Chicago, Illinois, Denver, Colorado, Seattle, Washington Position Type Full-Time
The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) is the nation's leading cancer advocacy organization. Together with our charitable partner, the American Cancer Society, we work in Congress, state legislatures and local jurisdictions to support evidence-based policy and legislative solutions designed to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. Based in Washington, DC with offices throughout the country, ACS CAN works to encourage elected officials and candidates to make cancer a top national priority.
Develop a vision for organizing for the region. Lead grassroots organizing within a 24-26 state region. This is a player/coach role with responsibilities for grassroots and program support for specific states as well as overall leadership for the region. Define standard processes and create systems to help state and local volunteers and staff apply grassroots best practices. Lead staff within the region for Cancer Votes electoral program planning and implementation. Support ACS CAN staff and volunteers by helping them develop strong grassroots campaigns, evolving regional systems editing grassroots alerts, updates, phone banking, etc.
• Provide expertise to the region regarding grassroots organizing best practices at the local, state and regional level.
• Manage two senior level organizers with similar responsibilities.
• Coordinate closely with national grassroots team to provide support to grassroots organizing work in the region.
• Create and standardize processes within the organization including planning, calendaring, and delivery of information to state teams.
• Serve as the lead staff within the region for federal campaigns, coordinating the national ACS CAN grassroots, federal, media and policy teams as needed to assist states in implementation of federal campaigns.
• Work closely with state and local campaigns team to standardize campaign support within the region.
• Serve as regional expert on Direct Action Organizing and its application to ACS CAN legislative campaigns, including assisting in the development of campaign strategies and in the implementation of campaign plans.
• Support volunteers and staff by assisting with drafting, adapting or editing content on grassroots alerts, updates, social media activities, etc.
• Manage Cancer Votes electoral program planning to assist states in implementation of campaign.
• Support state teams as the first point of contact to review locally developed grassroots materials.
• Work closely with ACS CAN staff throughout the region to ensure advocacy integration into ACS program such as Relay and Strides as well as other activities as program evolves at the enterprise level.
• Plan and manage volunteer trainings as needed.
• Apply and follow ACS CAN policies and guidelines.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Demonstrate the following Grassroots Advocacy competencies:
• Strategic mindset - Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
• Action oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
• Plans and aligns - Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
• Collaborates - Builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Builds networks - Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
• Drives engagement - Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
• Manages ambiguity - Operates effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
• Situational adaptability - Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
• Excellent grassroots organizing skills required.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
• Ability to work independently with minimum direction as well as work as a member or leader of a team.
• Demonstrated ability to work on fast-paced, time-sensitive matters with internal and external constituents.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse individuals and communities.
• Ability to complete work in a timely and efficient manner and ensure work is accurate.
• Ability to utilize available technology to perform position responsibilities.
SPECIALIZED TRAINING OR KNOWLEDGE:
Political campaign experience highly valued.
Knowledge of the ACS and/or ACS CAN highly valued.
Grassroots organizing experience highly valued.
Experience in organizing events is preferred.
Social media skills preferred.
It is the policy of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.