Maryland and DC Fall 2019 Grassroots Advocacy Intern—UnpaidApply Now Job ID 11935747 Location Baltimore, Maryland Position Type Intern
The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) is the nation's leading cancer advocacy organization. Together with our charitable partner, the American Cancer Society, we work in Congress, state legislatures and local jurisdictions to support evidence-based policy and legislative solutions designed to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. Based in Washington, DC with offices throughout the country, ACS CAN works to encourage elected officials and candidates to make cancer a top national priority.
The intern will assist the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network’s (ACS CAN) local policy efforts, events and outreach in Maryland and the District of Columbia. The intern will use community health promotion and education skills to outreach and build community support for cancer related policies in federal, state and local municipalities. They will support public policy efforts such as events and activities with administrative functions, grassroots organizing, earned media, and community outreach.
This internship will run from August 2019 to December 2019.
• Assist in the creation and development of grassroots events, products and tools
• Help write, edit and publish action alerts, newsletter articles and web content to help engage and motivate our grassroots volunteers to take action on our major legislative priorities
• Assist with our social networking sites and help produce content that will help recruit new members to our Facebook and Twitter networks
• Develop plans to engage our online advocates in our advocacy campaigns
• All other duties, as assigned
All Interns Must meet the following requirements:
•Full-time student, If you are an undergraduate student you have completed your freshman year of college;
•Have a minimum of a B average (cumulative 3.0 on 4.0 scale);
•Plan to continue their education in the following term/semester
oNote: an internship assignment may coincide with the student’s last term/trimester, but student must disengage upon graduation.
The following information must be submitted upon application:
• Two references from academic/professional sources addressing the student’s credentials based on the internship’s skill requirements • Recent transcript attesting to their GPA and standing as a full-time student • Unpaid interns must also provide documentation of the participation in a bona-fide college intern program under which their ACS CAN internship either qualifies them to receive course credit OR fulfills a graduation/coursework requirement.
It is the policy of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.