Lead Applications AnalystApply Now Job ID 10759064 Location Atlanta, Georgia Position Type Full-Time
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
This role is responsible and accountable for the quality and production of software components that make up the complex systems serving the business needs of the highly visible Extramural Research and Training Department. The system enables grant portfolio development, evaluation and management processes, awarding over $90M annually, managing over $400M in active grants and tracks over $3,700M in historical investment. This role provides expert advice and counsel to department leadership as well as managers in other departments, on all aspects of data management for the grants portfolio. This role also implements any system adaptations or adjustments required as the Department’s needs change.
Assure Departmental business functions are supported efficiently through technology.
- Understand peer review, grants management, research portfolio management and analysis needs of the department and translate them to practical technology solutions for customer and operational needs.
- Works closely with Business SMEs, Business Analysts, Corporate IT and industry experts to identify innovative solution and process changes to meet business requirements.
- Recommends new technology, methodologies and processes to benefit the organization and generate operational efficiencies.
- Maintain awareness of departmental, organizational and external policy and process changes that impact internal systems and perform requisite adjustments
- Inform decisions and support the interchange of data for systems that expand the knowledge available to the Department such as an online collaborative community and a research impact tracking system.
Perform needed development to provide Department with needed functionality
- Perform technical services, such as system analysis and design, software development, and database administration.
- Provide technical oversight of software projects, in conjunction with Corporate IT, to make sure standards are followed and appropriate methodologies are used.
- Monitor use of Research information systems by constituents, both within and outside ACS, to make sure these systems are accessible and meeting their needs.
- Analyze situations, evaluate alternatives, and implement solutions within standards (where applicable).
- Interpret guidelines and analyze information to adapt or modify processes in response to changing requirements.
Manage and mentor a programmer analyst.
Represent the Department’s technology development
- Provide appropriate documentation to collaborators, auditors, systems partners, and leadership.
- Perform business intelligence analysis on data collected by Research information systems, to provide meaningful data to assist managers in their decision-making process.
- Liaise with Corporate IT leadership as appropriate
- Coordinate with appropriate Corporate IT areas as the need calls (e.g. security, network, user support)
- May act as a resource to others to solve problems.
Duties may require non-routine analysis, research and follow-through.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science (or related field) or equivalent experience, and 5 years of applied experience required.
Five or more years of experience in application development related work, i.e. staff management, systems analysis and a systems development environment
Demonstrates Extramural Research Competencies:
• Manages complexity - Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
• Balances stakeholders - Anticipates and balances the needs of multiple stakeholders.
• Strategic mindset - Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
• Ensures accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments
• Builds networks - Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
• Builds effective teams - Builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
• Drives engagement - Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
• Instills trust - Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
Knowledge of project management methods and techniques
Ability to handle multiple projects, roles and responsibilities
Analytical decision making
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Ability to communicate technical concepts in a non-technical manner
Ability to interact comfortably with all levels of personnel and a diverse client base
Ability to work well with a team
Willing to take risks
Ability to mentor other technical staff
SPECIALIZED TRAINING OR KNOWLEDGE:
Experience managing software development projects
Knowledge of software development methodologies
Knowledge of object-oriented software design principles
Experience with Microsoft .NET framework and .NET programming languages
Knowledge of relational database concepts
Experience with Microsoft SQL Server 200x database programming and administration
Data Governance – relevance for data privacy (PII, PHI, healthcare information, GDPR, etc.) and data protections
Data Architecture – understanding what is happening to the data from inception to model to business decision
Basic understanding of security requirements in software development
Experience with source code control systems and concepts
Experience with report writing software
Strong analytical skills for performing systems analysis
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.