Northern CA Grassroots ManagerApply Now Job ID 12374001 Location Alameda, California Position Type Full-Time
The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) is the nation's leading cancer advocacy organization. Together with our charitable partner, the American Cancer Society, we work in Congress, state legislatures and local jurisdictions to support evidence-based policy and legislative solutions designed to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. Based in Washington, DC with offices throughout the country, ACS CAN works to encourage elected officials and candidates to make cancer a top national priority.
Execute a comprehensive grassroots advocacy program, based on current best practices, for the state. This includes: developing and implementing a volunteer leadership program, developing and implementing grassroots campaign plans for local, state and federal legislative priorities, working closely with ACS division partners to include advocacy activities and ACS CAN membership recruitment in ACS signature events, supporting state/division ACS CAN fundraising goal achievement as directed, and complying with all relevant lobbying protocol including proper codes and time tracking.
• Develop and implement comprehensive grassroots advocacy campaigns, to demonstrate volunteer constituent support for cancer related policy initiatives. Use Direct Action Organizing best practices.
• Recruit, train, and develop volunteers, through a variety of internal and external channels. Implement recognition programs for volunteers. Maintain relationships with grasstops and grassroots volunteers.
• Write and disseminate legislative alerts, issue talking points, training curriculum, and newsletters for a diverse audience of volunteers. Communicate using messages that are tailored to the specific political environment and attuned to the rapid pace of legislative activities.
•Work with Government Relations Director to plan and manage local, state, and federal grassroots lobbying activities, including maintaining relationships with elected officials and their staff.
• Plan and implement year-round advocacy activities and ACS CAN membership recruitment campaigns through signature ACS events including Relay For Life, Coaches/Colleges Against Cancer and Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.
• Conduct trainings as needed for volunteers and ACS staff in the state, and prepare volunteers for interactions with elected officials and their staff.
• Participate in ACS CAN fundraising activities as directed, towards achievement of an annual fundraising goal.
• Contribute to the maintenance of the ACS CAN state page, Facebook page, and/or other social media tools according to organizational guidelines and standards (coordinating with media advocacy staff if relevant). Must be active on Social Media;
• Identify and develop volunteers with personal stories related to ACS CAN’s policy campaigns.
• Lead Cancer Votes activities in their area, working closely with staff partners and national staff, and adhere to all IRS and ACS CAN legal requirements.
• Track and evaluate grassroots related projects to ensure successful completion and growth, including development of e-advocacy campaign narratives and message testing.
• Coordinate activities with local partners as well as national ACS CAN grassroots team.
• Accurately and effectively represent ACS CAN and its mission.
• Establish and maintain collaborations and partnerships as appropriate.
• Follow ACS CAN policies and guidelines.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Must work in the Alameda Office when not attending external meetings - *Not a home-based position*
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of six years of relevant work experience
• Political campaign experience preferred.
* Fluency in a second language preferred;
Demonstrates the following Grassroots Advocacy competencies: Strategic mindset, Action oriented, Plans and aligns, Collaborates, Builds networks, Drives engagement, Manages ambiguity, Situational adaptability.
• Strong written, oral, interpersonal and computer skills required.
• Ability to work independently with minimum direction as well as work as a member or leader of a team.
• Demonstrated ability to work on fast-paced, time-sensitive matters with internal and external constituents.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse individuals and communities.
• Ability to complete work in a timely and efficient manner and ensure work is accurate.
• Ability to utilize available technology to perform position responsibilities.
Some travel required (estimated up to 20%) including some weekends and overnight.
It is the policy of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
See our commitment to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants.